Professional Work Permit Visa (Skilled Category) in Malaysia

What is a Professional Work Permit Visa?
Professional Work Permit is an Employment Pass for 2 years (DP10 Visa). Professional Work Permit means that an expatriate from another country is Highly Skilled and is Offered a Skilled Job in Malaysia. The skilled categories are the same as in Western Countries - IT Professionals, Teachers, Doctors, Nursing and Managers. In simple words it is an 'Employment Pass' issued by the Government for skilled w

orkers. The initial validity of the pass is 2 years but it can be extended for 12 years. A Company (Sdn. Bhd. i.e. Private Limited) needs to have a High Paid Up capital greater than RM 500,000/- to qualify for recruiting Foreign Skilled Workers. They need to satisfy the Immigration that they have Skilled Category Job Vacancies and therefore need skilled workers from Other Countries. The reason for employing Foreign Skilled Workers is that they could not find a Local Malaysian citizens with the required skills and professional background suitable for their job. This is where Professional Work Permit gets its importance and expatriates are selected based on their Background and Qualifications. They are offered an Offer Letter by the Recruiting Company to work for them. Upon signing the Offer Letter, they are given a Contract of Employment for two years.

This Employment Pass has a High Value in the International Arena. Those individuals seeking to apply for Canadian, Australian, UK and USA Immigration/work permits have a higher probability of success once they qualify for the Malaysian Professional Work Permit. Malaysian Companies are recognised all over the World. This means that their Work Experience is recognised internationally. For example Australia issues a 3 months visa for a Working Individual in Malaysia to explore and find a job there. Many Malaysian Companies have branches in Western and Far East Countries, therefore an employee can request for a transfer to another branch in USA, UK, Canada or Australia. This widens the horizons for an individual who in the long run is planning to settle in the West and working in Malaysia for the short run.

What is an Expatriate Visa?
It is the same as a Professional Visa, used Inter-changeably. An Expatriate has a better potential of securing a better job career as compared to a General Worker.

What is i-Kad (Emplyment Pass ID Card)?
Upon Confirmation of your Professional Visa, the Immigration issues an i-kad (card) used as your Expatriate Identity Card for travelling within Malaysia.

How can I Qualify for a Professional Work Permit?
The Candidate applying for a professional work permit is required to have Educational background and Working Experience in Skilled categories i.e. IT Professionals, Teachers, Doctors, Nursing and Managers. Sometimes due to less educational or professional experiences, it becomes difficult for candidates to qualify for a Professional Work Permit. This is where we play a positive role in providing paper-work Consultancy.

What is the minimum and maximum Age Limit for a Professional Work Permit Application?
The minimum Age Limit is 27 years for an IT based Professional Work Permit. The maximum is 50 years. In-case you are below 27 years thenit needs to apply for extra documentation for an Approval.

Which Documents are Required for applying from my Home Country?
1. Photocopy or Scanned Passport Copy – All Pages
2. Photocopies or Scanned Credentials
3. Curriculum Viate/Resume
4. Passport Sized Pictures
Please ensure that you email only JPEG, PDF or MS Word Files.

How can I get an Approval for a Calling Letter in 6-8 weeks?
This is the vital part for the end result must be an approval and certainly not a rejection. The process is very simple and practical.

Upon paying the relevant fee and filing the documents, our lawyer hands over the documents to the Immigration. This is the first stage where we submit documents in the Immigration. The Scheduled Meetings by Immigration Officers for submitting the cases for Pakistani's, Indians, Bangladeshi, Indonesians and Nepali Citizens are held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays every week. The Lawyer meet the Immigration Officer and presents the case for the candidate. He provides documentary proof that the candidate has fulfilled the criteria and has a professional background to be allowed a professional Work Permit Visa for two years. The Immigration at this point has the right to refuse or accept the case. But this is where the Lawyer applies his specialized skills to convince the Immigration for an approval. The Immigration after accepting the case, issues a reference number which can be accessed online at
Log on to
On the white square at the left hand side of the page, key in the reference number e.g 050306010B021F7B-69011
This page displays your name, designation applied for, name of the company, date of approval and your reference number. Upon approval of your case check on the Right hand side the letter L represents Lulus (approved). Thus a positive aspect of this visa is that you can view the status online and check the progress of your visa.

Can my wife / dependants follow me to Malaysia?
Yes your dependants can follow you to Malaysia and are permitted to seek employment.
Can my wife / dependants work in Malaysia?
Yes they are allowed to seek employment in Malaysia.
How much can I earn every month?
Once the permit is issued there are brighter chances for earning a decent salary in Malaysia. You can earn from RM 2,500 to RM 5,000 depending upon your educational and professional background. IT professionals, doctors and nurses have a higher probability to earn more than RM 8,000. There are few jobs which are specific for Malaysian citizens, remaining are for all job seekers as long as they have a valid visa to work in Malaysia.

Can i apply for Permanent Residency in Malaysia?
Yes you can apply for Permanent Residency after 10 years upon working in Malaysia on a Professional Work Permit. You can avail the advantages such as a Malaysian IC (Identity Card), Personal, car and house loans, credits etc.

Can I apply for a Malaysian driving License?
If you have a license from your Country of Residence, you can convert it to a Full Malaysian License. The JPJ Office in Putra Jaya deals with driving license. The cost is RM 20 plus RM 30 annually for a Full Malaysian Driving License. You can also request a Driving License Agent to apply at JPJ Office on your behalf. This will save your time and effort in a new country. They usually charge around RM 700 for this service.

Can I apply for a Malaysian driving License without any Agents Help?
Yes you can.

Can i register my own Company in Malaysia?
You have an opportunity to register your own company in Malaysia. Legally, you need to have one Local Malay Director of the Company. You can have an Enterprise (Sole Proprietor) or a Sdn Bhd (Pvt Ltd) Company upon paying the relevant fee and presenting legal documents.

Can i get a house on rent?
Yes you can rent an entire Row-House, Apartment or a Condominium with swimming pool and gym facilities for RM 500 to RM 1000 per month. Renting a Single Room can cost you around RM 200 to RM 300.

Can i get a Bank Account in Malaysia?
After receiving your Professional Work Permit, the Agency (Company) issues an Account Opening Letter for the Candidates to apply for a Bank Account. You need to present your Original Passport showing your valid Work Permit to the Bank Officer and they will open a Savings or Current Account upon request.

Can i get a Credit Card from any Malaysian Bank?
Yes, you can apply for Credit Cards from any Bank in Malaysia. The criteria is the same i.e depending upon your monthly income, credit history etc.

Why should i choose Malaysia for Employment?
Besides being a tourist attraction in the far East, Malaysia is a growing economy that offers expatriates from various countries to live and work here. General Workers (labourers) to Highly Skilled professionals can find suitable jobs and earn a better living. Expatriates from both Western and Eastern Countries enjoy a good standard of living followed by opportunities to work in the Far East countries like Singapore, even ahead till Netherlands and Australia. Malaysian Government allows their Local Enterprises (Sdn Bhd i.e. Private Limited) to seek Skilled Employees from other countries so as to fill the gaps; increasing productivity and efficiency on the whole.